Staff Professional Development Grants
The Division of Equity and Inclusion's Center on Diversity and Community (CoDaC) offers financial assistance to eligible staff, up to $1,200, to cover expenses related to professional development opportunities which align with the goals of the IDEAL framework.
The purpose of the professional development grant is to provide UO staff with the opportunity to develop skills that facilitate the institutionalization of equity, inclusion and diversity on campus. This includes:
- Attending a conference for the purpose of learning new skills
- Completing online course work
- Developing training expertise or honing existing skills in support of equity, inclusion and diversity.
- In some cases, the grant may also support the presentation of outstanding work done on campus to a professional organization.
Conferences must be a recognized conference or professional meeting. Attending a professional meeting alone does not qualify unless the conference provides specific opportunities that advance the staff person’s skills around issues of equity, inclusion and diversity.
All approved funds will be transferred to the staff person’s home division or unit, which will manage expenditures within UO policy.
All UO classified and unclassified staff are eligible to apply for funding once every three years.
To be eligible, staff must have worked a minimum of 1,000 hours during the previous 12 months as well as working full time during the year in which they are applying. Up to 5 awards will be provided annually.
Please draft a short application that includes the following:
- A short narrative (no longer than one page) which describes the professional development opportunity. Requests may be submitted for travel, training and participation at professional meetings, training conferences, and other activities of direct benefit to the individual’s UO-related professional development around issues of equity, inclusion and diversity.
- A budget which includes all the expenses related to the opportunity, and how much funding you are seeking. Generally, expenses include conference registration, travel and lodging. Expenses should conform with all UO travel and expense policies. Questions regarding allowable expenses should be addressed with your division’s business manager.
- A letter of support from the supervisor of the applying staff member, affirming that the professional development opportunity aligns with the division’s equity, inclusion and diversity goals. The letter should also confirm staff eligibility.
Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Staff Professional Development Grant Request. You should expect to receive an answer to your request within a month. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until program funds for the fiscal year are exhausted.
Staff professional development grants are to be used within the current fiscal year, unless an extension is requested and granted by DEI. After that deadline, unused funds will revert to DEI.
Where appropriate, awardees should provide to DEI copies of any publications or training materials obtained at the conference or professional development opportunity.
Award recipients should report on the impact of their attendance in a 1-2 page statement within 60 days of the professional development opportunity.
Dr. Charlotte Moats-Gallagher
Director, Center on Diversity and Community (CoDaC),Division of Equity and Inclusion
54 Susan Campbell Hall