LGBTIA+ History Month was created in 1994 by a high school history teacher in Missouri named Rodney Wilson. The month of October was initially chosen to include:
- National Coming Out Day on October 11
- Anniversary of the first LGBT March on Washington on October 14, 1979
The month also now includes:
- Spirit Day on October 20, when people wear purple in support of LGBT youth
- Ally Week, a week in which allies against LGBT bullying are celebrated
- The anniversary of Matthew Shepard's murder on Oct. 12, 1998, which sparked the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
- Friday, October 11
Coming Out Festival | Friday | Oct 11 | 11am - 3pm | EMU Green
Celebrate National Coming Out Day with booths, bouncy course, crafts and cake!
- TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15
Draw a Drag Queen | Tuesday | Oct 15 | 5 - 7pm | Museum of Natural and Cultural History
Create figure drawings and see drag performances! Drawing stations and materials provided.
- TUESDAY, OCTOBER 22
Hieu Ming Nguyen | Tuesday | Oct 22 | 5:30 - 6pm | Free Dinner | Presentation | EMU Ballroom
A queer Vietnamese American award-winning poet. Presented by the BEseries
- Thursday, October 24
Gay Rodeo | Thursday | Oct 24 | 6pm | Museum of Natural and Cultural History
Folklorist Craige Miller will be speaking on the history of gay roeo. Presented by the Muserum of Natural an Cultural History.
- TUESDAY, OCTOBER 29
A Night with D'Lo | Tuesday | Oct 29 | 7pm | Pacific Hall, Room 123
D'Lo is a queer transgender Tamil-Sri Lankan-American actor, writer, and comic.
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30
Reweire Film Festival | Wednesday | Oct 30 | 7pm | EMU Redwood Auditorium
Sci-fi film featuring LGBTQIA+ people of color, followed by conversation with the cast.
- WENESDAY, NOVEMBER 6
Town and Gown | Wednesday | Nov 6 | 6pm | Viking Braggot Co. Southtowne
Adiscussion by the Eugene Lesbian Oral History Project. Presented by the Museum of Natural and Cultural History.
The Division of Equity and Inclusion is committed to providing support to LGBTQIA faculty, staff, students and community members. DEI support includes:
- All Gender Restrooms
- Bridges Speaker's Bureau
- DuckOUT - social hour for UO LGBTQIA Faculty, Staff, and Graduate students
- LGBT+ in STEM
- LGBTQI Scholarships
- LGBTQIA | Dean of Students
- Queer Studies
- University Committee on Sexual Orientation, Attraction, Gender Identity and Expression
- UO Alumni Pride
- UO LGBTQIA Marketing and Communications Standards
- UO TeachOUT
- Queer Studies Minor
UO LGBTQIA+ Student Organizations: