Writing Circles are founded upon two basic principles: 1) daily writing produces better quality work while also minimizing stress; and 2) group accountability helps reinforce motivation. In order to help you integrate these skills into your writing practice, we provide weekly writing time and space. These are not review groups but accountability groups aimed at supporting process, community, and productivity.
Structure of the Groups
Each writing group runs for 3 hours weekly, divided this way:
- Group discussion (approx. 20 mins.): This discussion will be facilitated by co-facilitators and will focus on writing and motivational strategies. Each member of the group is expected to both share their progress since the last meeting and set goals for structure writing time.
- Structured writing time (remaining 2+ hours): All members of the group will spend the remaining time in the session working on their individual projects, and will report their progress at the end of the session.
- commit to regular attendance for the semester
- keep a record of their goals and progress
- provide facilitators with ongoing feedback about the program