- Generally increase awareness of study abroad opportunities among generally historically under-represented students on campus
- Help disseminate the message that studying abroad is an experience that all students can and should consider
Scholarship recipients will be selected by a committee with representation from Study Abroad Programs, and the Center for Multicultural Academic Excellence. Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Must be a current undergraduate holder of a Diversity Excellence Scholarship or participant in other CMAE programs and/or classes; OR participant in volunteer, service or other work related to furthering diversity on campus and/or your community. Students must be planning to graduate no less than two quarters after completion of the study abroad experience, in order to complete the service requirement;
- Must participate in a UO-sponsored program;
- Must be enrolled as a full-time degree seeking undergraduate student;
- Communication skills (verbal and written): successful applicants must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and engagingly with peers regarding the importance of study abroad;
- Participation in campus and/or community activities: successful applicants must demonstrate involvement in campus and community activities.
All recipients will be required to participate in the following activities and produce the following materials as a condition of the scholarship; recipients must also agree to be included in the DESA directory and may be contacted for future informational and promotional events with prospective study abroad participants.
All DESA awardees must fulfill the following service requirements:
- One “creative idea” ; as part of the application process, you will design an activity you will lead/participate in or a material you will produce, either while abroad or upon return, to help fulfill the purposes of the scholarship as outlined above.
- Produce one piece for use by CMAE and Study Abroad while abroad. While the themes, focus and design of this piece can and should be tailored to your interests and experience, it must in some way incorporate the theme of study abroad from the perspective of a student from an under-represented background. The piece must be in one of the following formats:
- A blog kept during the program; minimum one entry per week of your program.
- A photo journalistic essay of your experience; minimum 5 photos per week 10 photos per week of your program and a caption.
- An article suitable for newspaper/magazine publication; minimum 1 page/250 words per week of your program.
- Within one academic year of your return to campus, participate in the following events in coordination with CMAE and Study Abroad staff:
- Outreach at the UO Study Abroad Fair
- An information session for under-represented students interested in study abroad
- An interview about your experience, which will be videotaped for future use
2017-2018 DEADLINE: JANUARY 31st 2018
DESA 2017_18 Application Coming Soon
- 2016 Vanessa Santillian-Nieto
- 2016 Julie Martnez
- 2016 Ruhama Dimbore
- 2016 Sandra Castro
- 2015 Michelle Chun
- 2015 Gabriela Saldana
- 2014 Fayine Hussein
- 2014 Mekiya Amado
- 2013 Cecilia De La Cruz
- 2013 Rebecca Rodas
- 2012 Niria Garcia